Taking vacations should not be ignored. In the fast-paced life that we live in, it is no longer a luxury but a necessity. Like a preventive medicine, frequent vacations decrease our risk from stress-related illnesses and help save money on health care. Aside from these stress relief benefits, it also provides the much needed break to recharge our mind and body. After a relaxing vacation, we are more alert and alive, ready to face the challenging tasks ahead.
First of all, you have to decide the purpose of your travel. Whether you want to explore a particular city, do something that you always wanted to do but never find the time (like catch up on your reading), or just to rest and unwind. Then you need to choose a place where you can go. There are many cities in your country or in the world that you can explore. If you want a quiet time all by yourself, you can head for the beach or an island somewhere.
Once you have decided on your purpose and destination, you will now plan your itinerary or list of activities while you are away. It is important to know what you can do to maximize your holiday. Here are some suggestions:
- Get a city map and highlight the places of interest or tourist spots that you can visit.
- Instead of eating in the usual fast food chain that you are familiar with, try to eat in the city’s local restaurants to taste their native cuisine.
- Walk in the streets and ride in their local mode of transport to feel their way of life. Remember to ask your hotel concierge for directions to get to a certain place and do not wear flashy clothing or jewelries.
- Shop where the locals do. Special tourist shopping malls or stores are a bit more expensive.
- Remember to schedule a day for some downtime. You can’t fit everything in one trip, and don’t forget that you are still in a vacation which means that you have to put in a little rest and relaxation.
- For total relaxation, be sure to grab a lounge chair near the water. Hear the soothing sounds of the waves splashing on the shore. Feel the warm sun on your skin and just allow the pleasant breeze to clear your mind.
- You can also walk along the shoreline for some exercise or change of scenery. Feel the water and the sand on your feet. Take the walk with a lighthearted conversation from a friend or you can just enjoy your own company.
- The next favorite activity to do at the beach aside from swimming is people watching. Sit back and watch other people walk, talk, play games and have a good time. You will notice a little smile forming on your face as you watch.
- Build castles in the sand with or without kids. Bring a shovel and bucket and unleash your creativity. You will definitely enjoy this.
- Have a picnic. Bring your family and friends together with a lot of packed food and spread out a blanket in one of the tables along the beach.
Whether you are going to the city or to the beach, don’t forget to bring sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun. And of course, take lots of pictures.